Thursday, December 31, 2009

Linux GPS

As I eluded to in my last post the Linux GPS software OpenCPN is working great! It accurately plots the course and works with my DeLorme LT-40. All I had to do was install the GPS daemon. In Ubuntu all you need to do is enter the following at the terminal:
sudo apt-get install gpsd
Then I added this script to my box and run it when I run OpenCPN:

#!/bin/sh
sudo killall gpsd
sudo gpsd -n -D 2 /dev/ttyUSB0
xgps -speedunits knots -l

Many thanks to Thomas, user cagney over on the Cruiser Forums, he wrote the code. Just save it as a text file and make it executable. I named mine startgps and run it like this:
./startgps

I'm excited by the options to include AIS and autopilot functionality with OpenCPN but don't have the hardware to try and integrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment